1. Our Policy. This Privacy (“Policy”) covers the Association for Marine Exploration’s (“AME”) treatment of personal information or personally identifiable information ( both “Personal Information”) that may be collected or submitted when the web-user (“you”) are using AME’s website or services. This Policy does not apply to companies that AME does not own or control, or to individuals that are not under AME’s supervisory control.
Please understand that whenever you voluntarily disclose Personal Information online, this information cannot be made one-hundred percent secure and, in some cases, that information can be intercepted, collected and used by others. However, we work hard to protect your information at all times.
2. How We Collect Your Personal Information. While using AME’s website, you may submit Personal Information when registering for services, ordering products, and posting content. Depending on the service or process, the Personal Information you may be asked to provide may include your:
- Postal Address
- Email address
- Phone number
- Gender or other demographic information
- Location information
Personal Information may also be collected, or your IP address logged, when you visit AME’s website. Your IP information allows us to better understand how you use our site and to enable us to make changes to our site in order to improve your experience. Information regarding your computer, your connection to our website (such as your browser type, operating system, and platform) and your user history specific to the AME website (including, but not limited to, your session information, page errors and the length of your visits to specific pages within our website) may also be collected.
4. How We Use Your Personal Information. AME may use the Personal Information you provide for purposes such as: carrying out a registration made by you; customizing the advertising and content you see; fulfilling your requests for products and services (including purchases); improving the content and overall look and feel of our website and services, contacting you, conducting research, providing anonymous reporting for internal and external clients, contacting users regarding changes to our website or business, and customizing the content that you see on AME’s website. AME may also retain the details of purchases and other transactions or payments made with us or the partners affiliated with our website.
5. How Your Personal Information is Disclosed. It is AME’s policy not to disclose, sell or rent your Personal Information to any individual, business, government entity or outside parties except: (i) to provide products or services you’ve requested through us; (ii) in response to a validly-issued subpoena, court order, or other legal process; (iii) when necessary to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal action; or (v) where you request AME to do so.
From time to time, AME may use return email addresses to answer the email we receive from you. Such addresses are not used for any other purpose. Your Personal Information will not be collected for use that is in violation of the law, or unrelated to the that discussed in this Policy, unless you are also provided an opportunity to opt-out or otherwise prohibit such unrelated uses.
6. Setting Up User Accounts.. AME allows users to set up personal accounts to participate in our online communities. You have the ability to edit information you provide at any time, and may delete your account at your convenience by contacting us. Unless AME is required to respond to court orders, subpoenas or comply with applicable law AME will use its best efforts to ensure that unauthorized third parties do not access your user account information
7. Correcting Your Personally Identifiable Information. You are responsible for ensuring that all Personal Information you provide on the AME website is maintained and kept current.
8. Web Statistics & Shared Data. We collect and use IP addresses to analyze trends, administer the site, track user movement, and gather broad demographic information for reporting and sponsorship purposes.
From time to time, we may use this information to better design our website and to share with select partners, sponsors, and/or affiliates; however IP addresses are not linked to Personal Information. For example, we may tell a potential sponsor that X number of individuals visited a certain area on our website, or that Y number of men and Z number of women filled out our registration form, but we will not disclose to these partners, sponsors and/or affiliates anything that could be used to personally identify those individuals.
10. Scope of this Policy; Third Party Websites. Although this policy applies to the all information obtained by you for the purpose of accessing or using content controlled and owned by AME, it does not apply to businesses or entities that are not owned or controlled by us.
This website contains links to other third party websites. Please be aware that AME does not claim any responsibility for the privacy practices of these third party sites. We encourage you to be aware when you leave our site and to take reasonable precautions when sharing your personally identifiable information on third party websites. Please see our Linking Policy for additional details.
11. Opt-In Policy. You may “opt in” to receive newsletters, promotional offers and other useful information from us. To unsubscribe from our mailings (except important system and content update information), you may contact us.
12. Encryption. The AME website currently does not support encryption. Support for encryption may be added in the future. All user accounts must be accessed with usernames and passwords. You are advised not to share your username and password with any other person.
13. Amendments. AME reserves the right to amend this policy at any time. AME will post a notice of changes on its web site, when and if the terms of this policy are amended.
14. Contact. You may contact AME directly via options listed on the ”Contact Us” page should you have any questions regarding this policy.
Note: This Policy is adopted from one provided by Erin McClary.